When I expressed an interest in Mindfulness meditation last Christmas, a family member suggested I read “10% Happier” by Dan Harris. I did, and the book (which is subtitled ‘Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics’) made a real impression on this fidgety, skeptical, anesthesiologist.
After the book, I found the 10% Happier iPhone app to be incredibly helpful in continuing to try to establish my practice. What sets this app apart from others, in my view, is the short video interview segments Dan does with Joseph Goldstein and others to educate the user about meditation, the challenges that may arise, and how to continue through them.
Here’s a list of topics for just the first few weeks:
- Behind the waterfall
- How do I know I’m being mindful?
- Dealing with discomfort, sleepiness, and restlessness
- Respond, Don’t React
- How not to be yanked around by your emotions
- The difference between ‘Present’ and ‘Mindful’
- Non-attachment to results
All of these are practical, practicable, and even entertaining.